Sunday, February 6, 2011

Why I Use a Professional Photographer


Recently, Theresa Boardman wrote an excellent blog about Realtors who attempt to photograph their listings by themselves, and what a foolish idea this can be.
I hire a photographer/videographer to take the still and motion pictures of my listings for the MLS and advertising. Potential buyers can see the best features of these homes, and often purchase them.
I find it hard to believe that a professional real estate agent would be satisfied with pictures taken with a cell phone. Years ago, before the days of digital photography, I bought an excellent camera with a wide angle lens, but the quality of the pictures I took didn't come close to the results that a professional can achieve today.
These virtual tours become marketing pieces that help today's buyers decide which homes they want to see in person. One of my recent sales was photographed on a gray, rather dreary day last month. The photographer met me in the late morning, and I was concerned that the home, which was usually light and bright, would not show at its best, but we had a time limit for placing the house on the MLS before the open houses, and rain was expected to most of that week. The videographer told me not to worry...that his equipment would provide all the light we needed...and he was right! The open house was packed, and the house sold that week.
No one wants to admit that they have taken poor listing photos for their listings, but everyone agrees that there are plenty of examples of bad property photos in every MLS in the country.
Penny wise is indeed pound foolish.

No comments: