Monday, July 6, 2009

Real Estate Related Scams


As if there weren't enough scam artists around, we're starting to see more of them in affecting the real estate industry. I've had two warnings in my email, just in the last week.The first was for homeowners who are late in payments, doing a short sale, or a loan modifications.
This came from an agent in one of our local offices:
"I received a call from a client, who is doing a short sale, to say that a woman came to his house to request the money due to Bank of America. I called Bank of America and asked whether they would send a person to make a collection and they say NO!! I was told that the woman who came to my clients house was an impersonator and it was a SCAM!!"
The one below is a scam hitting Realtors. If you call the phone number, you're going to be charged a bunch of money on your cell phone bill. The agent who sent this went to the website listed and it's a gaming website. To: .......
Subject: property appointment
Hi there,

I am interested in viewing one of your properties, could you please call me on my foreign mobile +882 --- --- -- to set up a time. As I am travelling at the moment I am unable to pick up emails regularly so please call.

Kind regards,

L-- C-----
---------
Mobile: +882 --- --- --
Email: l...c.....@......com

Just a warning to us all to be extra vigilant.

No comments: