Thursday, September 6, 2007

Be Careful Out There


The National Association of Realtors has announced its fifth annual Realtor Safety Week. From time to time over the more than thirty four years I've been in the business, I've read about Realtors who are attacked or robbed while showing property or holding open houses. Considering the lure of expensive cars and jewelry, it's surprising that this doesn't happen more often.
I've probably been lucky during the course of my career...certainly, there were a few times when I held a vacant house open or showed a country property to relative strangers when I had second thoughts about the personal safety involved.
A friend of mine had a visitor at her open house who was acting in such a weird manner that she went next door (she had previously introduced herself to the neighbors and invited them to come by) and brought the burly neighbor back with her. The open house "guest" left quickly.
Nowadays, we can have cell phones handy, programmed with 911. It's still a good idea to check out the 52 safety tips on the NAR Website.

No comments: