Friday, April 17, 2009

What Do I Consider "High End Sales?"


A reader called "Sunnyvale Resident" has left a new comment on my post "So Is the Bottom Near?":
How do you define "high end sales" i.e what price range do you include here? >2M?

Normally, I reply to comments in the "comments" section, but I thought that I would write a post on the subject, especially since the Mercury News agrees that the market is leveling off...in a headline article in this morning's paper.
When I refer to high end properties, I usually mean those in the $1 to $2 million price range, which is the higher end for Sunnyvale and Cupertino. Lately, however, with the median price of sales in the Valley at $425,000 last month, I include sales in the Jumbo loan category...anything over $800,000. These are the properties that could be affected by job losses and tightening in financing for loans over $729,750. With only three months of inventory in the county's supply of homes in all prices, there is still a big contrast with properties in the $1-2 million range, which had nearly a year's worth of unsold inventory in March. Inventory in this price range is now down to 10 months' worth, and pending sales are up. Good news for our local market.

No comments: