Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Glass Ceiling in Real Estate?


I read a shocking report in today's San Jose Mercury News. The third annual UC-Davis Study of California Business Leaders, conducted in partnership with the Palo Alto-based Forum for Women Entrepreneurs and Executives shows that Santa Clara County has lowest percentages in California of women on the board of directors in large public firms, and women in a top executive positions.
An even bigger surprise to me was the poor showing in the Real Estate sector. As I look around at the successful Realtors in my office, and others in the Valley, I see a preponderance of women. Women have also been active in the local Associations of Realtors, and have headed these groups as early as the 1970's, when I first entered the business. Our President of the California Association of Realtors, Colleen Badagliacco, is a woman. But, according to this study, only 8.1% of executive officers in the state's twenty two largest public real estate companies are women. This, despite the fact that we have historically been one of the earliest professions where women could move ahead through our own ambition and hard work...but not into the executive suite, I guess.

No comments: