Saturday, October 13, 2007

If a Self-Employed Person Gets Sick...


Here I am, home with laryngitis and all the symptoms of a miserable cold. I had deliberately freed the weekend from appointments and open houses so I could attend a three day square dance Jubilee, held right here in San Jose.
The dancing can wait until another time, but as I contemplate my second nap of the day, I can't help but think about what might have happened if this were a "normal" working weekend for a Realtor. If I had floor time scheduled at the office, I would probably have shown up for my three hour shift (It's hard to get a substitute at the last minute) and hoped that I had enough voice remaining to answer phone calls. An open house would have been even more difficult to handle...directional signs to put out, lights to turn on, and most importantly, being "on" for visitors to the house, and sounding more knowledgeable than brain-dead. Showing property can usually be delayed, or a friend can cover for me. During my more than thirty years in real estate sales, I've covered for other agents who were sick, and they've done the same for me, but this is a very personal business, and when a client chooses to work with you, they are not usually happy with a substitute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Maybe you could use a Virtual Assistant to answer your calls and no one would be the wiser. There are services out there that will do anything you need from answering phones, bookkeeping, etc. I use it for answering my phone and that is all, so you do not have to take all the services. I will give the link in case anyone is interested. www.V-S-W.com
Thanks for listening