Thursday, November 15, 2007

How Long Will My Appliances Last?


There was a brief article about appliance life expectancies in the November AARP Bulletin...and yes, I am that old! I was pleased to see that my appliances had exceeded the averages in almost every instance. Gas ranges typically last about 15 years, dishwashers and microwaves, 9 years, and trash compactors, a skimpy 6. I found it interesting that they gave 100 years as the potential life span for well maintained marble, slate and granite flooring, and only 8 to 10 years for carpets. The National Association of Home Builders maintains a great site, and if you want to check out how long an older component in your house is expected to last, go to "Publications" and "NAHB Reports." Maybe you can justify a new freezer from Santa!

No comments: