Monday, November 19, 2007

Shopping done? Check your appliances.


Many years ago, I put my stuffed turkey in the oven, set the temperature, and moved on to other activities like straightening the living room and setting the table for a big Thanksgiving dinner for the extended family. When I came back to the kitchen a few hours later, I found an ice-cold bird in an equally cold oven. The cleaning service had pulled the electric coils out when cleaning the stove, and although it was an easy fix, dinner was delayed for several hours that year.
A worse Holiday fiasco happened more recently. I live alone now, and rarely use my dishwasher. After a wonderful evening with my children and grandchildren, we loaded the dishwasher, and as it ran, the water backed up into the shower stall and overflowed into the bedroom. My sons turned off the water, and the plumbers cleared the line (with emergency rates, of course.) Drying the carpet took longer.
Repair Clinic.com has several suggestions for pre-party maintenance, like cleaning or replacing the range hood vents and replacing the drip pans under electric stove burners. Check out their site for other pointers. A holiday celebration shouldn't be spoiled because of an appliance mishap.

No comments: