Thursday, November 8, 2007

West Nile Virus and the Home Sale Slowdown


The lead article in today's Mercury News talked about an unexpected result of the subprime mortgage crisis: a worse West Nile Virus season. There were four identified human cases in Santa Clara County this season.
I had my first encounter with the County Vector Control last month. My listing in the Old Orchard area of Sunnyvale had a fountain in the front patio that was turned off and had standing water. Because my sign was out front, the vector control officer called me to ask that the water be drained or the fountain be plugged in.
I was impressed by their efficiency, and notified the owners, who complied by making sure that the fountain stayed dry for the rest of the sale period. I also mentioned this precaution to the new owners when I met them for the final walk through.
In Santa Clara County, more than 200 pools, green or black with algae, were identified by aerial surveillance...at least three times as many as in 2006. Many of these are foreclosed properties, where the owners just walk away. The county notified as many real estate agents and owners as possible, and also quickly treated the pools to kill any breeding mosquitoes.

No comments: