Friday, December 7, 2007

All My Eggs in One Basket?


You know that old expression, but I never fully appreciated it until last night. I was at my dance club, and a member asked me during a break to do a loan calculation for him...his daughter was refinancing. This isn't something I can do off the top of my head, so I went to get my trusty Treo Smartphone, which has a calculator function. I had just finished when someone asked me to dance, so I left it on the chair. At home, two hours later, I went to place it on the charger, and realized that I had never picked it up when I left the hall, and by then, it was too late to go back...everything would be locked up. Fortunately, all the club members are an honest crowd, but I was still concerned about who had it, and how (and when) it would be returned. All my phone numbers are on the phone, and most business calls come in that way. At least, all my client information and schedule are backed up on my office PC. My contact information was on the case, and the club president called first thing this morning, so there was a happy ending. I felt naked without the phone... an indictment of the age we live in?

No comments: